We started early with the Valentine’s baking and now we can’t stop! Until Valentine’s Day is finally upon us, there will be plenty more sweetness to come. Valentine’s Day is all about chocolates and sweet treats so today I thought I’d make some Chocolate Rum Balls. I’ve been making these Rum Balls for many years. I used to make them every year for Christmas Eve and bring them to my Uncle’s as they were his favourite. They’re a pretty little addition to any dessert tray or cookie platter.
- (yield 20-25 Rum Balls)
- 1 125g pkg of cream cheese
- 1 c. ground almonds
- 1 c. icing sugar
- 1 tsp. instant coffee
- 1/4 c. dark rum
- 3 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted (can melt in microwave approx 40 sec)
- Topping Suggestions: Sprinkles, icing sugar, toasted coconut
- Blend cream cheese until fluffy. Stir in almonds, icing sugar, powdered instant coffee and rum. Mix well.
- Add in melted chocolate.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until mixture is easy to handle. (approx. 1 hour)
- Roll mixture into 1 inch balls (tsp size amount) and roll into desired toppings.
- Tip: I placed the rolled balls onto a sheet of wax paper and then sifted powdered coatings on top instead of rolling the balls in the coatings.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Happy Valentine’s Baking!
Laura & Natasha xo