If you are a fan of sugar cookies, you will love these Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars.
These bars taste exactly like a good old-fashioned sugar cookie, except they are thicker & so much easier to make.
Forget about chilling, rolling, & cutting the dough like you do with regular sugar cookies – For these bars, just mix the ingredients, pop it in a pan & bake! Simple & delicious.
Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars
(recipe adapted slightly from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe)
- 3/4 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sprinkles (to decorate)Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9X13 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, granulated sugar & powdered sugar until light & fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, than the vanilla and mix for a good minute. Stir in the lemon zest, flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until combined.
2. Press/spread the sugar cookie mixture gently into an even layer into the bottom of your prepared baking pan. Bake for 10-13 minutes without overbaking! The bars should look almost undercooked, and shouldn’t have any color around the edges. Allow bars to cool completely before frosting.
3. For the frosting: cream the butter and powdered sugar together until smooth. Add in the whipping cream & vanilla extract and mix until the frosting is light and fluffy. Lastly, add in food colouring of your choice & top with sprinkles.