We are still not through with the Valentines Baking! We just can’t help ourselves.
These Pink Heart Shortbread Cookies are incredibly easy to make, super cute, & most importantly delicious – perfect for Valentine’s Day.
This is a very common/go-to shortbread recipe, & only requires 5 ingredients – unsalted butter, granulated sugar, icing sugar, salt, and flour.
The butter provides the majority of the flavour in these cookies so it is fairly important to use a high quality butter for a better tasting cookie.
The food colouring is optional – I added pink food colouring to make these cookies more ‘Valentines’ish’, but you can definitely leave them plain, or add whichever colour you like!
You can also sprinkle some granulated sugar on top of these cookies when they are hot right out of the oven to add some texture to the cookie as well. It gives the cookies a really pretty sparkle.
Happy Valentine’s Baking!
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- pink or red food colour, optional
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter until smooth, approx. 3 minutes.
- Add the granulated sugar and mix until well blended. Add the icing sugar and salt; mix until fully combined.
- Next add the flour and mix until fully incorporated.
- Add a few drops of pink food colouring, and mix in it into the dough until the food colouring is evenly distributed.
- Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
- After refrigeration - Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Divide the dough into 3-4 smaller portions and roll dough out onto a sheet of waxed paper. Use cookie cutters to cut the dough into desired shapes.
- Bake cookies on lined cookie sheets for approx. 13-15 minutes.
- This recipe requires refrigerating the dough for 15-20 minutes.