I made 2 strawberry pies for our family dinner on Sunday and wanted to share the recipe with you guys! This strawberry pie recipe is from my Nonna, and is a family favorite. It’s the perfect summertime pie!
(makes 2 pies)
– 4 pounds of strawberries (2 pounds each pie)
– 2 pie shells
– 3/4 cup sugar
– 1 tablespoon cornstarch
– 500ml whipping cream
– icing sugar
– This was the first time I made these pies with store-bought pie crusts. I do NOT recommend buying pie crusts for this kind of pie because the strawberries contain a lot of juice which can make it soggy if the crust is not thick enough. Definitely want to stick with homemade crusts!
1. Pre-bake pie crusts. (Cooking time varies depending on which brand of crusts you buy, or if you make homemade crusts. For Tenderflake crusts, bake 8-10 minutes at 400.)
2. Wash and drain strawberries.
6. Mix 1 tablespoon of cornstarch in 1/2 cup cold water.
7. Mix mashed strawberries, cornstarch/water, along with 1/2 cup sugar in double boiler. Cook until thick, mixing constantly. (approx. 30 mins)