Easter is this weekend. It’s a holiday filled with family dinners, decorating eggs, baskets filled with goodies, lots of chocolate Easter bunnies and Coconut Cupcakes! Okay… Perhaps Coconut Cupcakes isn’t the first thing you may think of when you think Easter. But, these particular Coconut Cupcakes are a happy addition to our Easter baking. Just look at how perfectly festive these delectable cupcakes look. And the best thing is they taste AMAZING!
We’ve made these cupcakes numerous times and it has become one of our favourite recipes anytime of the year. Even though we both don’t particularly love coconut, these cupcakes are an exception. The coconut flavour isn’t strong and overpowering, it’s just right. Paired with the cream cheese frosting, it makes for the perfect combo.
Tip: Toast the coconut flakes in the oven to get a pretty golden colour. Or use green food colouring to get green coconut flakes to simulate grass. So cute! This time we decided not to colour the coconut and opted to add the coloured Cadbury Mini Eggs to the top. Kind of looks like fluffy clouds of delicious-ness!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk, room temperature
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 4 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- 72 Cadbury Mini Eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 cupcake pans with baking cups and set aside.
- On a large sheet of parchment or wax paper, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar for 2-5 minutes, until mixture is light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing slowly after each addition.
- In a liquid measuring cup or small bowl, add the vanilla to the milk.
- Add one third of the dry ingredients followed by one third of the milk, mix thoroughly. Repeat & scrape down the bowl as needed. Add in the last third of dry ingredients followed by the last third of milk. Mix well. Gently fold in the shredded coconut using a spatula.
- Scoop batter into the cupcake pan until each cup is two-thirds full. Bake for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and allow to cool for a few minutes. Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
- Combine the butter, cream cheese, vanilla & icing sugar in a mixer and mix together at high speed for 3-5 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Using a spoon, scoop a large dollop of cream cheese frosting on top of the cupcake and spread to the edges of the cupcake covering the top completely. Next sprinkle shredded coconut on top of the frosting so that it forms a puffy cloud of coconut on top. Pat down and apply as much coconut as you'd like. Complete the cupcakes by placing 2-3 mini eggs on top.
- If you prefer a less sweet cupcake - Use shredded 'Unsweetened Coconut' instead of 'Sweetened' coconut for the icing.
These cupcakes add that extra special Easter pizzazz on your dessert table. The kids (and adults) will absolutely LOVE them.
Natasha & Laura xo