I am so excited to share this recipe with you guys! Why? Because it is my all time favourite. This is my ex mother-in-law’s recipe and is a family favorite. I’ve been making it forever. The crust for these tarts is the key. It’s light and fluffy and delicious. Without a great crust the tart is, well… not worth making. And this crust is da bomb! You are going to love them. They are the ultimate holiday treat.
Natasha was playing around with the camera and ended up filming me while baking the pecan tarts last night..
Here’s a little behind the scenes of what went down; Check it out!
Even though I prefer Summer, when Fall rolls around and I see all the new Fall fashion, I can’t help but get excited. Goodbye Summer, Hello Fall!
Here are my top picks for Fall…
(Click hereto see Natasha’s Fall Wishlist)
1. Classic Tall Ugg Boots in Black – $195 Even though Ugg boots aren’t considered ‘fashionable’, and always top ‘most-hated’ fashion trends for women by men, I still love them. They are so comfy and easy to wear.
We are officially well into Spring! Let the birds sing and the sun shine!
Here in beautiful Vancouver we’ve been having some really rainy days lately. But I don’t care! I’m ignoring it and just waiting for that beautiful weather to get here and stay here. I know it’s coming.
If you’re not from Vancouver you’ve probably at least heard that it rains here. Alot. But, I have to say, us Vancouverites still love our amazing city and all it takes is one sunny day and we forget all about the crappy rainy ones we just had.
Don’t you find when the warm season is finally here you kinda get that, what is it called? Cabin fever? I think that’s what my mom calls it. Where you feel refreshed and wanna clean all of your windows because now that the sun is shining you can see all of the streaks from the winter months. Yeah.. that part’s not exactly fun.
But you know what is fun? Finding inexpensive ways to bring the Spring indoors and add a breath of fresh air to your home. We made a list of easy decorating pick me ups for your home that doesn’t require calling the painters or removing any walls!
1. New Decorative Throw Pillows (by INC International Concept) This is probably my favourite ‘easy decorating‘ thing to do during all seasons. It can change the look of your living room instantly. Nothing like adding some fresh and bright throw pillows in the spring to give a boring room some renewed life.
2.New Organic Throw I know most people are putting their ‘throw blankets’ away after winter. While this is probably the norm, at our house Natasha and I are like little ol’ grannies when it comes to our couch throws. We have different throws for different seasons. Even pretty light textured ones for each of us during the summer… 2 girls, 2 couches, uh yeah. Ohmigod! I mean really. Why do we even need a throw in the spring and summer? Habit, security blanket, weird much? I don’t know. But we love them!
3. Fresh Scented Candles (by Kate Spade)
This is the best way to make your whole house smell marvelous during any season! Light scents burning during the spring evenings. Beautiful candles are an easy treat and an inexpensive way to give radiance to a room. I think at our house we burn at least 4 tealight candles a night. Every single night of the year.
5.New Kitchen Counter Accessories
How much do we adore this canister??? This little beauty Fiesta-ware is a great statement piece to add in your kitchen. It’s bold and bright plus functional too! Not only will it add a pizzaz of beautiful colour to your counter you can also store whatever you use often inside. Flour, sugar or cookies etc.
6.New Art Pieces (Like this textured flower painting by Laura of Rose & Lea – $400)
Look for these paintings and many more coming soon to our new Rose & Lea Etsy Shop. We will be featuring numerous paintings and lots of handmade goodies by Laura & Natasha!
Art work is a fantastic way to change a whole wall and room without going through all of the hassle of painting.
7. New Vase (by Kate Spade New York) This is a no brainer. A new vase can do wonders to a room. It’s interesting, different, adorable. Imagine when it’s filled with bright beautiful flowers sitting on your table!
8. Floral Dinnerware (by Martha Stewart) The biggest trend in houseware this season is floral prints. Big, bold floral prints. We love this dishware that is mix and match. It adds so much interest to the table without any huge effort. So pretty.
9.Bathroom Accessories (by Kassatex ‘Garden Party’) Yes, this is bathroom decor. Bathrooms need our decor love too. And yes. Floral again. But I couldn’t resist. Just look at how pretty this set is. Talk about how cute this would look in the bathroom. Instant Spring update. You’re welcome.
10. Floral Table Cloth Want to create a beautiful room instantly for a dinner party or luncheon? It doesn’t even have to be for an ‘occasion’! It could be for a ‘just because’ dinner with the family. Table clothes in beautiful floral prints add instant happiness to a table setting. Now you may notice that I have also included floral dinnerware in this list. Obviously I would not pair the 2 together. It would definitely be the tablecloth or the dishware. Not both.
Nothing says Holiday Baking quite like Gingerbread!
We have finally found the perfect gingerbread cookie recipe and we are so excited to share it with you guys.
These cookies smell almost as good as they taste, and will fill your house with an unbelievable, delicious Christmas scent.
These gingerbread cookies have just the right amount of spices, and are simple & easy to make.
We had so much fun decorating these cookies & seeing the gingerbread men come to life!
Nothing’s better than putting on some Christmas tunes, getting your friends and family together & spending a cozy night in decorating these cute gingerbread cookies. (And of course the best part is getting to eat all the cookies afterwards… or during. 😉 )
1. In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter & sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the molasses, and egg.
In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger & nutmeg.
Slowly pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients & mix until combined.
Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
2. Line baking sheets with parchment paper, or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Roll dough out to 1/4 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface & use cookie cutters to cut into desired shapes.
Place cookies about 2 inches apart on cookie sheets.
Bake for approx. 10 minutes, and let cookies cool on the sheets for 10 minutes, than transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled completely, decorate!
Pinterest-inspired reindeer cookies! We used red m&m candies for the noses.
They turned out super cute.